Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Films & TV: Russian & Non - Q&As/Reviews/Links all in here!

Films & TV: Russian & Non - Q&As/Reviews/Links all in here!

Updated!!!
    Greetings!This thread was started for one reason (read below to see how it all started) and since that time it has morphed into a source for finding out and sharing information and thoughts about not only Russian Films & TV but nonRussian ones as well. However, as we went along in this thread, I did start a list of most of the Russian films which we talk about in this thread and this list also contains links where you can either download the film or watch it online WITH English subtitles. If you decide to watch a film, and of course I hope that you do, please be certain to write up a review, small or large... doesn't matter.
    Rockzmom

================================================== =

Master Russian Film List UPDATED as of DECEMBER 16, 2009

Below is a list of RUSSIAN films & CARTOONS/ANIMATED FILMS! (at the bottom after the films) and current links! If you want me to add a film (or I missed one), please let me know and provide a link for me (one with English subtitles would of course be VERY nice). Unless otherwise noted, the links provided all have ENGLISH subtitles. If you find any broken links, errors, or better links, please let me know! Alphabetical order (English)*
    Last edited by MasterAdmin; March 31st, 2018 at 03:23 AM.
    Joyan likes this.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Завсегдатай

Re: Favorite movie/book phrases or quotes??

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    So this week, at the suggestion of one of the forum members, I have been busy watching Irony of Fate (Ирония судьбы, или С лёгким паром), Ivan Vasilievich Changes Occupation (Иван Васильевич меняет профессию) and Kin-dza-dza! (Кин-дза-дза!).
    Could you please provide us your impressions? Please, please, please… I beg of you!

Well, as for me, my favourite Russian movies are:
    Irony of Fate
    Office Romance (Служебный роман)
    Kin-dza-dza
    Russian Sherlock Holmes movies (there are 5 films, the common title is "Приключения Шерлока Холмса" - "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes")
    A Railway Station For Two (Вокзал для двоих)
    Five evenings (Пять вечеров)
    The Autumn Marathon (Осенний марафон) <-- a very famous quote from this one is "Хорошо сидим" (?We're sitting down well?).

Actually I think there is A LOT of beautiful Soviet movies, and I forgot to mention some of my favourites, for sure.

P.S. Ah, I forgot about books! Well, I love Dostoyevsky and Bulgakov most of all (if you're asking about prose).

P.P.S. My favourite Mark Zakharov movies:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Ordinar ... (1978_film)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Very_Same_Munchhausen
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_of_Love_(film)
    Also "Убить дракона" ("To Kill A Dragon") and "Дом, который построил Свифт" ("The House That Swift Built"), but there are not their pages in the English Wiki.
    All these movies are quite famous and cited.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Завсегдатай

Office Romance (Служебный роман)
    Love it. Maybe the best one in that list.
    +1000 to that one.
    These films are classic. Very smart and funny, and so much more. My fav is "The Very Same Munchhausen", but I'd recommend watching all of them.
    Quotes from IMDB:
    The Very Same Munchhausen

Munchhausen: But you do allow kings to get a divorce?
    Pastor: Well... For kings... In extreme cases. When they need to produce an offspring.
    Munchhausen: In order to produce an offspring they need to do something else.

[trying to prove that Baron was a bad husband]
    Ramkopf: He threw out a wife with a child.
    Theophil Munchhausen: I am not child. I am an officer!
    Ramkopf: He threw out a wife with an officer.
    Formula of Love

Margadon: Peasant, do you want big and pure love? Come to the hayloft in the evening.
    Fimka: Why not come? I'll come. Only you come too. Because the other gentleman promised to come, but after got scared.
    Zhakob: But she won't come alone. She'll come with a blacksmith.
    Margadon: What do we need a blacksmith for? We don't need a blacksmith. What am I, a horse?
    Fimka: He is my uncle, like a father to me... You are going to propose, aren't you?
    Margadon: OK, that's enough. You are free to go. Don't you see that we in the middle of the game?
    "Do you want big and pure love?" has become a catchphrase. ))))

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Margadon: Peasant, do you want big and pure love? Come to the hayloft in the evening.
    Fimka: Why not come? I'll come. Only you come too. Because the other gentleman promised to come, but after got scared.
    Zhakob: But she won't come alone. She'll come with a blacksmith.
    Margadon: What do we need a blacksmith for? We don't need a blacksmith. What am I, a horse?
    Fimka: He is my uncle, like a father to me... You are going to propose, aren't you?
    Margadon: OK, that's enough. You are free to go. Don't you see that we in the middle of the game?
    "Do you want big and pure love?" has become a catchphrase. ))))
    Actually "Нам кузнец не нужен" (We don't need a blacksmith) is maybe even more popular.

But, you know... It seems to me that the translation somehow does not convey the original humour of the scene... It isn't even completely true. Margadon doesn't say "OK, that's enough". He says "Так, свободна" or something. Which means, roughly: "OK, you may leave, girl".
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Завсегдатай

Actually "Нам кузнец не нужен" (We don't need a blacksmith) is maybe even more popular.
    Ha ha. True. The phrase about love is used often enough too as a joke and as an example of the worst (best?) pick up phrase ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    But, you know... It seems to me that the translation somehow does not convey the original humour of the scene... It isn't even completely true. Margadon doesn't say "OK, that's enough". He says "Так, свободна" or something. Which means, roughly: "OK, you may leave, girl".
    I think "Dismissed" is more accurate. You're right, it's not the best translation, it seems even grammatically and stylistically wrong, but it gives an idea of the film's atmosphere.

I've remembered another funny moment, when the young hero, trying to make his foreigh guests to stay as long as possible, talks to the local smith about fixing their broken cab (the quote is from memory):
    - How much time do you need to fix it?
    - A day.
    - What about two?
    - Maybe two.
    - Five?
    - If I try hard enough.
    - What about ten?
    - Eh, Master, what a hard task. I'll need help.

I still laugh every time when I hear it, because it's our service in a nutshell.
    Some people think that Russian movies slow and static, but really you need to know a little about Russian life and culture to appreciate the subtle humor that is present even in the rather sombre movies.

Завсегдатай

"An Ordinary Miracle" with English subtitles:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFkqkkGCmpg
    (use links to the right to find other parts)

So this week, at the suggestion of one of the forum members, I have been busy watching Irony of Fate (Ирония судьбы, или С лёгким паром), Ivan Vasilievich Changes Occupation (Иван Васильевич меняет профессию) and Kin-dza-dza! (Кин-дза-дза!).
    Could you please provide us your impressions? Please, please, please… I beg of you!
    Olya & gRomoZeka,

Thank you for your suggestions. As I could not sleep, after a few minutes of searching the Internet, I found a copy of Office Romance (Служебный роман) with English subtitles and watched it very early this morning! I’ll watch An Ordinary Miracle next and post my review later!!!

As for my impressions of the first four films… I feel I must give a disclaimer first:

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

You need to understand that along with my being a music “whore” I am also a film “whore.” My first love in life was photography and film and that was what I studied in college. I studied at three very different colleges, one where they emphasized perfection of the art; one, where they taught the history along with the commercial modern “Hollywood” style; and the third school I attended specialized in the avant-guard or independent film making.

Therefore, when I look at films, I see them a bit different than the average viewer. Where one person might watch a film and think the film was just awful because of the script or dialogue, I might watch that same film and love it because of the cinematography or the editing process. This is not to say that I am a film snob… just that I tend to take in the entire film when I watch one and see it a bit differently than others.

One last note, even with all my studies, I don’t recall ever watching any Russian/Soviet films prior to this week! I have seen many other foreign films so when the Forum member asked me if I had seen any and I realized I hadn’t, it took me by surprise.

With that warning… here are my impressions of the four movies…

Ivan Vasilievich Changes Occupation (Иван Васильевич меняет профессию) 1973

This was the first movie that I watched, and of the four, my least favorite and it is mainly due to the fact that this style of film is just not my cup of tea. Even if this were an American film, I would have ranked it my least favorite as I am not a big fan of this type of humor. My daughters on the other hand… well they saw parts of it and thought it was very funny. As for the technical side of the film, I was impressed with it considering the year (1973) that the film was made. The effects and the concept were cute and it was well executed. I did enjoy the poor cat being “tortured” in the beginning. There is something very universal about cats being picked upon!

Kin-dza-dza! (Кин-дза-дза!) 1986

This was the second film that I watch and I was blown away by this one! I read that it was classified as both a comedy and science fiction film; however, I guess the comedy was lost on me or in translation or just too much film school in me. I thought that the acting, script, concept, cinematography... well everything about this film was first rate! I was hooked at the very beginning and did not want to stop watching until the very end. I also enjoyed the views of Russia! It is a shame that this was never released in the States.

Irony of Fate (Ирония судьбы, или С лёгким паром) 1975

The third film I watched and was informed that this film is for Russians what It’s A Wonderful Life is for Americans. Just as It’s A Wonderful Life is a sad film that gives you hope, I felt the same way about this one; however, I still felt really miserable about Galya and Ippolit. Sure Ippolit was a total jerk, but Galya wasn’t so bad and they both get hurt and there is no happy ending for them. Besides that small complaint, I did enjoy this long soap operaish movie and especially enjoyed learning how important the New Year celebration is to Russians. (Please, is there a significance to oranges and New Years? In the beginning of the film Zhenya is buying oranges and then in Nadya’s apartment, there is a bowl of oranges as well. Is this a tradition to eat oranges on New Years and if so, why?)

I also found it interesting that the actress, Barbara Brylska who played Nadya, was Polish and didn't speak Russian well enough to supply the character's voice, so it was dubbed. I did not suspect at all that it was not her real voice and they did an excellent job with ADR or Automatic Dialogue Replacement and I have worked with that before and it is not always easy to synchronize lips to sound and considering that they did that for the entire movie, they did a fabulous job.

Office Romance (Служебный роман) 1977

And finally, the fourth film. I did enjoy this romance “chick flick!” I immediately recognized Andrei Miagkov’ voice (very proud of myself!); yet, he looked so different and not for the better. The humor in this film thankfully, was not wasted on me this time. Both the visual and written came across well. The blue eye shadow, I remember that being in fashion here too! That scene was done extraordinarily well and is universally understood as it crosses over all cultures as was evident by the lack of narration during the scene. I was also amazed at the concept of this film considering that it was made in 1977. The film was addressing something cutting edge, a female boss. And surprisingly enough, it is still a valid portrayal of what some women must do to be a boss in a man’s world today. The film was very well scripted, edited, acted and the cinematography was also good. While most of it took place indoors, there were some nice exterior shots (the train platforms were packed!). I was once again surprised by the ending. I thought perhaps there was more to the film and I was missing part of it. I want to know what happens to these people and that is the sign of a great piece of art.

So… now these ending … that are cliff hangers... are they typical of Russian/Soviet films? We Americans are so used to having things resolved in a film, either for good or bad. With television, it is fine, not a problem; but, with film it is a different situation. We hate leaving the theater unresolved.
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Завсегдатай

Ivan Vasilievich Changes Occupation (Иван Васильевич меняет профессию) 1973

This was the first movie that I watched, and of the four, my least favorite and it is mainly due to the fact that this style of film is just not my cup of tea. Even if this were an American film, I would have ranked it my least favorite as I am not a big fan of this type of humor. My daughters on the other hand… well they saw parts of it and thought it was very funny.
    Haha! I adored that film as a kid (I was 10 when it was released). Now it almost completely lost it charm for me. Almost, but not quite, because it reminds me of my childhood .

Kin-dza-dza! (Кин-дза-дза!) 1986
    This was the second film that I watch and I was blown away by this one! I read that it was classified as both a comedy and science fiction film; however, I guess the comedy was lost on me or in translation or just too much film school in me.
    I am glad you liked it. Welcome to the club! In Russia itself, there are a lot of people (especially the younger generation) who just don't dig it. As to the comedy side of it, I guess you need to understand all cultural references to appreciate it. And that is virtually impossible unless you lived in USSR at the period (or unless someone explains you each joke, explicite or implied, one by one).

Irony of Fate (Ирония судьбы, или С лёгким паром) 1975
    That's most certainly a masterpiece of a sentimental comedy. And it has a very beautiful soundtrack. I've watched it at least 5 times .

Please, is there a significance to oranges and New Years? In the beginning of the film Zhenya is buying oranges and then in Nadya’s apartment, there is a bowl of oranges as well. Is this a tradition to eat oranges on New Years and if so, why?
    Damn it, aren't you an observant one! For people of my generation (and older ones) oranges are indeed strongly associated with celebrating New Year. But to deduce it from just one movie... Oh my!
    You must realize one thing. Since New Year is so important for Russians, people always try to buy the best things they can afford for their New Year party. And oranges were considered a delicacy in USSR. You couldn't just go to a supermarket and buy some any time you liked. However, just before New Year, many food stores and retail outlets started selling oranges and other delicacies so that people could buy something nice for their New Year supper. For some families, New Year was the only time of the year when they could eat a lot of oranges.

There are a couple more points in your post that I'd like to comment on, but I need to run now.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by translationsnmru
    Damn it, aren't you an observant one! For people of my generation (and older ones) oranges are indeed strongly associated with celebrating New Year. But to deduce it from just one movie... Oh my!
    You must realize one thing. Since New Year is so important for Russians, people always try to buy the best things they can afford for their New Year party. And oranges were considered a delicacy in USSR. You couldn't just go to a supermarket and buy some any time you liked. However, just before New Year, many food stores and retail outlets started selling oranges and other delicacies so that people could buy something nice for their New Year supper. For some families, New Year was the only time of the year when they could eat a lot of oranges.
    You make it sound like people could afford buying the oranges only once a year, because they were poor or something like that. That's not true. The problem was that some fruits like oranges and tangerined were on offer only in winter, they appeared at the stores in late December (it had something to do with import schedule), at the same time local fruits like apples and such were impossible to buy for obvious reason (and they weren't imported). So if you wanted to buy fruits in winter you had no other choice really, and for this reason many Russians still associate oranges and tangerines with New Year holidays.

Старший оракул

I don't remember any Office Romance cliffhanger. The film ends with "Nine months later the Novoseltsevi had three boys" (as opposed to two Novoseltsev had had). Isn't that definite enough?

Quote Originally Posted by E-learner
    I don't remember any Office Romance cliffhanger. The film ends with "Nine months later the Novoseltsevi had three boys" (as opposed to two Novoseltsev had had). Isn't that definite enough?
    Ahhh.... is that what is on the screen at the end of the movie?? It was not translated into English!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Старший оракул

It was not translated into English!!
    I suspected that much.

Завсегдатай

You make it sound like people could afford buying the oranges only once a year, because they were poor or something like that.
    Never said that.

Завсегдатай

Rockzmom!

Your impressions are soooooo very interesting, thank you so much! I assure you, we all here will be just happy if you continue to share with us your thoughts about Soviet / Russian movies you watch.

You know, as for "Ivan Vasilievich", I can say, just like you, that this movie is my least favorite of all the rest mentioned in this thread. But still I do like it. I also like music in this movie a lot

Kin-dza-dza - I think that the comedy was lost in translation, indeed, because I'd say that the humour in this movie mostly exists in phrases. For example, "женщину вынули – автомат засунули". This sentence sounds very funny in Russian. But the translation in English is simply "They got the woman out and put in a machine" (which sounds neutral, I believe). Or the very famous phrase "Заднее не бывает!" It is very funny (but Uncle Vova pronouces it very seriously )
    And moreover, if you watched the movie with that totally awful variant of subtitles which existed on the Internet for a long time as one and only...... then.... hmmm... If you watched the movie on youtube, most probably you watched it with those terrible subtitles; they are just totally inaccurate and... cr*pish!! Let's take the famous dialogue (very funny in the original):
    - Это твое заднее слово? (roughly, it can be translated "Is it your last word?"; literally "Is it your hinder word?")
    - Заднее не бывает! (roughly, "It can't be more last!"; literally "It can't be more hinder!")

The translation was (I don't remember precisely, so it's approximately):
    - And you won't change your mind?
    - No way!

Office Romance

I was once again surprised by the ending. I thought perhaps there was more to the film and I was missing part of it. I want to know what happens to these people and that is the sign of a great piece of art.
    So… now these ending … that are cliff hangers... are they typical of Russian/Soviet films? We Americans are so used to having things resolved in a film, either for good or bad. With television, it is fine, not a problem; but, with film it is a different situation. We hate leaving the theater unresolved.
    Well, I think it's obvious what happens to these people They kissed and, of course, they made their peace with each other, isn't it obvious, hm?.. And then again, the last subtitle tells us "9 months later the Novoseltevs had already three boys."

Well, I think it's obvious what happens to these people They kissed and, of course, they made their peace with each other, isn't it obvious, hm?.. And then again, the last subtitle tells us "9 months later the Novoseltevs had already three boys."
    I think I have found out the problem... the version I was watching has a second part!!! :fool"

Office Romance (Sluzhebnyiy Roman) Episode 1 of 2... http://www.memocast.com/mediadetails.aspx?id=186861
    I just found Episode 2... because I never saw them KISS. I now need to go watch the second half!!!

Thanks Olya!!!

Завсегдатай

Thank you for your reviews, rockzmom. I can't wait for your next.
    I'm glad you enjoyed "Office Romance". I suspect though that most of the hilarious word play and delicious slips of the tongue Novoseltsev makes when he's mumbling in embarassment got lost in translation.
    If you liked "Служебный роман" you'll probably enjoy these films as well:
    a) Влюблен по собственному желанию / Fell in love at his own will (1983): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086554/usercomments
    b) Самая обаятельная и привлекательная /Most charming and attractive (1985)

Also you can watch one of the movies recommended above - The Hound of the Baskervilles - with English subtitles at youtube.
    It's oficially the best of the Russian Sherlock Holmes series, and Russian Sherlock Holmes is the best Holmes ever (I'm serious, world cinematographers including British ones had some kind of voting and chose him as the best).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB43qJRywvc

Завсегдатай

You can download it here in a normal quality (as a whole avi file):
    http://rapidlinks.ru/link/?lnk=54626

The subtitles you can find on http://www.divxsubtitles.net/

VLC Player opens all this together (the file and the subtitles) without any problems.

Завсегдатай

I suspect though that most of the hilarious word play and delicious slips of the tongue Novoseltsev makes when he's mumbling in embarassment got lost in translation.
    Only if the translation is bad. I dare to think that I made a more or less good translation. (it's my little hobby, yes )

P.S. I thought I put my subtitles on http://www.divxsubtitles.net/ already, but it turns out I forgot. I'll do it a bit later.
    The translation I saw on the Internet is not good.

Завсегдатай

I suspect though that most of the hilarious word play and delicious slips of the tongue Novoseltsev makes when he's mumbling in embarassment got lost in translation.
    Only if the translation is bad. I dare to think that I made a more or less good translation. (it's my little hobby, yes )
    It's YOU who translated the version rockzmom was watching? I didn't know that.

Завсегдатай

It's YOU who translated the version rockzmom was watching? I didn't know that.
    No, no, no. I edited my post above. I finished my subs just recently.

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast