Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: RE: <<Bednaya Liza>> translation

  1. #1
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    10

    RE: <<Bednaya Liza>> translation

    Hey all!!

    Sorry, I didn't mean for you to translate the ENTIRE thing!! Althought it was great that somebody was actually nice enough to do a lot of it for me -- thank you!! --but maybe a little help with what happens in the story with her and the guy she meets when she's selling flowers...

    ~jessi
    ~angels fell first...~

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    1,687
    Rep Power
    12
    I have not yet finished reading the story. I updated my post and added what I have read so far. It is a cute and amusing story. Unfortunately, it will take me a couple more days to finish the story.
    My Russian language is somewhat lacking.

    PS. Is this a popular story in Russia?
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

    Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

  3. #3
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Astrakhan, Russia
    Posts
    159
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by kwatts59
    PS. Is this a popular story in Russia?
    This story is in our school curriculum. So everyone in Russia at least knows its name

  4. #4
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by kwatts59
    I have not yet finished reading the story. I updated my post and added what I have read so far. It is a cute and amusing story. Unfortunately, it will take me a couple more days to finish the story.
    My Russian language is somewhat lacking.

    PS. Is this a popular story in Russia?
    You really don't have to do the entire thing! I would feel quite badly about it!! And your Russian is obviously much better than mine, so thank you again for all you've done, but don't feel obliged to finish if you really don't want to!!
    As for it's popularity, I think everyone knows it, but Karamzin is not as prominent an author as say, Pushkin, for example, I think because Karamzin was writing a little earlier?

    ~jessi
    ~angels fell first...~

  5. #5
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Astrakhan, Russia
    Posts
    159
    Rep Power
    10
    Karamzin is more famous as a historian than as a writer. He is not so prominent as Pushkin... just because he is not Pushkin! There is only one such a well-known poet in Russia

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    1,687
    Rep Power
    12
    Liza meets a rich nobleman while selling flowers.
    Next day she waits for him so that she could sell her flowers only to him.
    Many people wanted to buy the flowers but she held out for him. Her man doesn't show up and she ends up throwing the flowers into the Moscow river.

    But the next day he arrives at her house and they meet and fall in love and the story drags on and on about how much they love each other blah blah blah.

    The story is too lovey dovey for me.
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

    Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

  7. #7
    Cat
    Cat is offline
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Почти Москва
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    10
    SPOILER!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by kwatts59
    The story is too lovey dovey for me.
    Doesn't she committ suicide in the end? Her prince doesn't love her enough for marriage and she won't be able to find another guy because she's not a virgin anymore which is very bad for those days. Liza thinks if everybody knows that'll be a shame to her mother. But her mother dies of grief right after that all the same... So it's not that nice and lovely story

  8. #8
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    1,687
    Rep Power
    12
    Ой вэй

    Darn, you told me the end before I got there.
    I guess there is no point in finishing the story.
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

    Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

  9. #9
    Cat
    Cat is offline
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Почти Москва
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    10
    Oh, sorry I thought you had read it...

    Quote Originally Posted by kwatts59
    Darn, you told me the end before I got there.
    I guess there is no point in finishing the story.
    Why so? I've read and watched a lot of stories knowing their plots still enjoying them. 'Война и мир', for example Besides, this kind of literature doesn't care much of 'what' thing (I mean plot, not the idea of the book), but pays attention to 'how' it's written

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    1,687
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat
    Oh, sorry I thought you had read it...

    Quote Originally Posted by kwatts59
    Darn, you told me the end before I got there.
    I guess there is no point in finishing the story.
    Why so? I've read and watched a lot of stories knowing their plots still enjoying them. 'Война и мир', for example Besides, this kind of literature doesn't care much of 'what' thing (I mean plot, not the idea of the book), but pays attention to 'how' it's written
    No need to be sorry Cat. It is not big deal.

    Anyway, I finished reading the story. It was very sad
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

    Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

  11. #11
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    10

    karamzin as a historian...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rostova
    Karamzin is more famous as a historian than as a writer. He is not so prominent as Pushkin... just because he is not Pushkin! There is only one such a well-known poet in Russia
    so why is it that he is most well known as a historian?
    ~jessi
    ~angels fell first...~

  12. #12
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Astrakhan, Russia
    Posts
    159
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: karamzin as a historian...

    Quote Originally Posted by jessi
    so why is it that he is most well known as a historian?
    He wrote "История государства Российского" (12 volumes). It's one of the most famous (or even it's the most famous) works about the russian history.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary